my little slice of heaven

my little slice of heaven
My little slice of heaven, click image to see more

Friday, April 6, 2012

Boomer Much?

Recently I've been enjoying several 'tribute' albums that if you haven't had a chance to hear, you should take a listen on iTunes, as they're all pretty special. One series I stumbled upon, produced by Vega Productions out of Owatonna, Minnesota, is the Minnesota Beatles Project , these three volumes are brilliant. It's hard to imagine that a band that was together for only a decade and scattered to the winds over 40 years ago remains one of musics most lasting and seminal influences. In these volumes Minnesota artists cover the Beatles work in delicious variety. Give them a listen.


The Amnesty International tribute to Bob Dylan, I touched on briefly in a previous post, but 
Chimes of Freedom , bears repeat mention. Contemporary artists tackle Dylan's pantheon with amazing results, some quite unexpected. Michael Franti's take on Subterranean Homesick Blues is sublime, as are many, many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment